Saturday, August 1, 2009

Can I learn to think like a thin person?

I've been a serial dieter for twenty years. I have gained and lost countless pounds. I know what to eat and as a former athlete, I actually like to exercise. But somehow, I am unable to make my weight loss permanent. Is my problem the way I think? Do I think like a fat person? Can I learn to think like a thin person?

I've come to realize that food will always be an issue for me. I've also realized that many people don't struggle with food like I do. Why do I struggle and others don't? Can I somehow change the way I think?

One morning, I read Emily Yoffe's Dear Prudence column and she suggested to a writer that sounded very much like myself to read Judith Beck's book, "The Beck Diet Solution." The tagline of her book reads, "train your brain to think like a thin person." I immediately ordered three of her books. I want to learn to think like a thin person. Can Dr. Beck's books end my food issues/addiction/obsession?

The Beck Diet Solution uses the principles of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) focusing on changing destructive, sabataging thoughts and re-wire negative behaviour into positive choices. In other words, it will train me to think like a thin person.

The Beck program is six-weeks long and has tasks for each day. I decided to write this blog to chronicle my journey through this book. I figure it will increase my commitment, dedication and chance for success.

Can I change the way I think? I sure hope so.

See you tomorrow for day 1: The Key to Success...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear what you have to say. While you are here, why don't you follow my blog too.

Also: I'm starting to get spam, so I've made the decision to moderate comments (unfortunately).