Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Updating a year an a half of progress

It's been an embarrassingly long time since my last post. It's May 2011 now. My last post was August. August 2009. I'd like to tell you that I have learned to think like a thin person and I've solved my weight issues.  I haven't. In fact, I'm even heavier now, incredibly self-conscious and physically uncomfortable.

I have been productive during my year and a half blogging sojourn. My husband and I welcomed our second son to the world in May 2010. I started this pregnancy about forty pounds heavier than my first pregnancy, so I am at the heaviest weight of my life, with an overwhelming amount of weight to lose.

Following the Beck Diet Solution did not work for me.  However, I know that cognitive behaviour therapy is the key to learning to think like a thin person and finally getting a handle on my weight. Instead of following a book, I decided to go a step further and find a cognitive behaviour therapist. I began therapy in September 2010.

Before therapy, I hunted for food. Obsessed about it. Thought about it constantly. I feared bringing ice cream, cookies or chocolate into the house. Those foods would rarely last 24 hours in my house. Now, eight months later, I haven't touched chocolate from Mother's Day. The box sits unopened on the kitchen counter. There is a box of ice cream in the freezer and I'm not tempted to have any. More importantly, I am making healthier choices and I'm happy to do so.

All in all, I'm hopeful for my future. But, I'm worried that I might regress into my old habits. I'm worried that thinking thinner won't get me thinner.

My plan is to write about what I've learned and discovered through the therapy. I think this will help me keep what I learned fresh and to remain steadfast in my quest to think and be a thin person.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kara,

    Thank you for the update. I really enjoy your insights and perserverance. I started the online WW about 5 weeks ago and quite enjoy it...although as you mention it is a constant mind battle. Looking forward to following your blog. Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear what you have to say. While you are here, why don't you follow my blog too.

Also: I'm starting to get spam, so I've made the decision to moderate comments (unfortunately).